Today, Friday 15th September is the National 4pm Finish Day. Getting to start your weekend an hour early and making this campaign a legitimate thing has never been more prominent. Kudos to Red Bull for getting the ball rolling.
Although we cannot wait to go home early (if the boss lets us) and want to get out of the office on a beautiful sunny Friday, the whole movement is actually to promote productivity. It has been scientifically proven that employees who work six hour days get just as much work done as 9 to 5’ers.
If you are an owner of a small business and want to get in your staff’s good books, honour National 4pm Finish Day and let them out early. It will also give them an incentive to work harder and get out on time, so get your team together, set them a target and get the productivity kick-started again.
In our offices, the sales team has been set a target. If they make their target then they get to leave at 4pm.
On the other hand, if your boss is not convinced on letting the employees take one short hour out of your working day, then here are five excuses you can use to take it for yourself.
- Unexpected illness – it gets to 3.50 and you must really get home because this migraine is not letting you get any work done.
- Doctor’s appointment – the one you completely forgot to tell your boss about, but you just remembered and have to make it.
- Required family obligation – your brother’s, wife’s, cousins’ daughter is ill and you are the only one at this very moment who has to take care of them.
- Proof – get your friend/neighbour/family member to send you an SOS message where they must absolutely have you there for support.
- Sudden death – this one is for those aspiring actors. Be hesitant to use this one, it’s only for the pros of ‘I need to go home’.
Here is more on productivity in the office.
(Forward to your boss, for a subtle hint!)